LEXUS unveils the new “ES” for the first time in the worldDebut in 2021
□ Achieves quietness and improved ride quality, which is the origin of the brand
□ Pursuing a linear response that is faithful to the driver’s intention, which is a unique ride of LEXUS
□ The elegant design that is the feature of ES has been further modernized
□ Latest Adopts excellent advanced preventive safety technology such as “Lexus Safety System +”
LEXUS unveiled the new “ES” for the first time in the world. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan around the fall of 2021. ES began selling with the flagship sedan LS in 1989. It is the core model of the LEXUS lineup, which has been well received by many customers around the world for its quietness, ride comfort, and spacious interior space, and has sold a total of approximately 2.65 million units in more than 80 countries and regions.
The new ES has achieved excellent quietness and further improvement of ride quality, which are the origins of LEXUS, and refined the high-quality comfort. Besides, we pursued a linear response that is faithful to the driver’s intentions, such as the comfort of seamlessly connecting deceleration, steering, and acceleration in all driving situations. LEXUS’s unique method has increased the rigidity of the rear suspension member brace and improved steering stability in scenes such as high-speed lane changes. Besides, by adopting the latest AVS * 1 that uses a new actuator for F SPORT, we have achieved both high-quality riding comfort and improved steering response by reducing the damping force and expanding the variable width. Besides, we have actively adopted advanced safety technologies such as the advanced Lexus Safety System +, aiming to make driving safer. Besides, the design of the headlamps and front grille has been changed, and a newly developed interior color has been adopted to create a more sophisticated design.
Main features of ES
Quietness improved ride quality, and improved driving performance
The new ES has improved quietness and ride quality, and refined high-quality comfort. Besides, we pursued a linear response that is faithful to the driver’s intentions, such as the comfort of seamlessly connecting deceleration, steering, and acceleration in all driving situations.
Adopts the latest AVS solenoid
- The latest linear solenoid type AVS using a new actuator is adopted for the F SPORT.
- By expanding the flow path of the oil flow control valve of the hydraulic control solenoid to support low damping force, and by expanding the variable range of damping force, both high-quality riding comfort, steering response, and stability is achieved.
Improved rigidity of rear suspension member brace
- Rigidity is improved by changing the structure from a single plate to a structure that combines two plates. In particular, it enhances the rigidity against twisting and bending, improves the riding comfort, and realizes a more linear and driving feel at the driver’s discretion even in high-speed lane changes.
Improved brake controllability
- The control constants of the electronically controlled brake system have been changed to improve brake controllability.
- By changing the shape of the brake pedal pad, the range of contact with the sole has been expanded, improving the sense of stability when the pedal is depressed.
- The bush mounting method in the brake pedal link configuration has been reviewed to improve the lateral rigidity of the pedal.
The modern evolution of the elegant design that is characteristic of ES
While improving the quality and elegance that have been well received by customers, the exterior has evolved into a modern style by changing the design of the front grille and headlamps. The interior has also adopted the newly developed interior color mauve and has evolved into a calm and modern space. Besides, based on a human-centered way of thinking, we pursued operability in every detail, such as making the multimedia system a touch display and consolidating the switches around the steering wheel.
Front grille design change
- The front grille adopts a mesh pattern while inheriting the ES-ness. Consists of a collection of L-shaped units that emphasize the horizontal flow. The extruded grill is emphasized to improve the texture.
Change of headlamp design
- The monocular lamp has been changed to a new small unit. The three-lens lamp uses the Blade Scan ™ * 2 adaptive high beam system (AHS * 3 ) to improve functionality and a new thin lamp unit to change the look to a sharp look.
Wheel design change
- The 17-inch wheels have thicker spoke ends to emphasize the texture of the cutting brilliance, and the V-shape gives a sporty impression.
- The 18-inch wheels, which are standard equipment on the base grade, use multi-axis spokes that show the contrast between cutting brilliance and black paint, creating a luxurious feel.
- The 19-inch wheels exclusively for F SPORT use glossy black wheels that match the black color of the front grille, giving a firm impression.
New exterior color setting
- Two new exterior colors are used: Sonic Iridium, which emphasizes modeling with strong shadows, and Sonic Chrome, which achieves a metallic texture and high luster.
Additional setting of orange caliper
- An orange-painted caliper with the LEXUS logo has been added to the F SPORT to give it a sportier impression.
- The multimedia system is converted to a touch display. Based on a human-centered idea, we searched for the optimum distance and angle between the driver and the display, brought the display closer by about 100 mm, and tilted the angle by about 5 ° so that the driver’s hand could reach the corner of the screen. Glass material is used for the screen to improve visibility and operability.
- In addition to using walnut material that creates luxury, newly developed black and dark brown are used.
- The decoration of the hairline has been changed to a processing method that engraves one by one with a laser, creating a more detailed and modern atmosphere.
New interior color / design change
- In the interior color, a hazel is newly adopted, and a brownish grayish tone mauve is newly developed.
- White is newly adopted for F SPORT, and a black color scheme is added to the white and flared red seat cushions and seat back to give a sporty impression.
Adoption of advanced preventive safety technology, including the, evolved “Lexus Safety System +”
LEXUS is advancing the development of safety technology with the ultimate wish of a mobility society, “zero traffic accident casualties.” Based on the idea that it is important to develop the world’s top-level advanced safety technology faster and spread it to more cars, we actively adopted the latest technology for the flagship model and applied the know-how cultivated there. By developing popular technology based on this, we are aiming for widespread deployment to each model. The new ES Lexus Safety System + has also evolved further with the safety technology cultivated in previous models. While maintaining the configuration of the “monocular camera + millimeter-wave radar” used in the conventional Lexus Safety System +, we aim to further reduce traffic accidents and accident casualties and reduce the burden on the driver, such as emergency steering support. Achieves additional functions and improved lane recognition performance. Besides, we pursued vehicle behavior that is natural and secure for the driver when driving assistance. Besides, the cameras have been updated for both the digital outer mirror and inner mirror. The LED flicker has been significantly reduced and the image quality has been improved, achieving excellent visibility day and night.
Lexus Safety System +
- By improving the performance of the monocular camera and millimeter-wave radar, we have expanded the coverage area of ”pre-crash safety” that can detect daytime cyclists and nighttime pedestrians. It is now possible to detect crossing pedestrians coming from the front when turning left. Besides, functions such as emergency steering assistance that assists steering in the lane triggered by the driver’s steering and low-speed acceleration suppression that supports accident prevention at low speeds have been added.
- By utilizing AI technology for lane recognition of the advanced driving support function “Lane Tracing Assist (LTA * 4 )” that supports steering so that the vehicle can drive in the center of the same lane, the range of support has been expanded to make steering smoother and less interrupted. Realized support.
- “Radar cruise control (with all vehicle speed tracking function)” that accelerates and decelerates so that the distance to the vehicle in front is constant within the vehicle speed set on a car-only road, etc., and a curve that decelerates in advance according to the size of the curve Adopted a speed control function.
- “Automatic high beam (AHB * 5 )” that detects preceding and oncoming vehicles and automatically controls the high beam
- “Road Sign Assist (RSA * 6 )” reads major road signs with a camera and displays them on a multi-information display
- Adopted a driver error response system. If the driver continues to be in a non-operation state during LTA control, the driver will be prompted to operate with a sound, display, and warning by slow deceleration. Besides, the vehicle will decelerate and stop in its own lane while notifying the outside of the vehicle of abnormalities with hazards and horns. Support the avoidance of damage and harm accidents and the reduction of accident damage. After the vehicle is stopped, we will also request lifesaving by unlocking the door and automatically connecting to the help net, contributing to early driver lifesaving and rescue.
Besides, there are parking support brakes that help reduce damage caused by collisions when the accelerator and brake pedals are mistakenly pressed in parking lots, and contact accidents with approaching vehicles behind, and panoramic view monitors that support safety confirmation around the vehicle. We are actively introducing advanced safety equipment.
Blade Scan ™ Adaptive High Beam System (AHS)
- Uses the Blade Scan ™ Adaptive High Beam System (AHS) used in RX and LS. The light from the LED, which is the light source, is radiated to the blade mirror that rotates at high speed. AHS is a new mechanism in which the light reflected by the blade mirror illuminates the front while moving at high speed through the lens. The light does not appear to move due to the afterimage effect, but the light distribution can be finely controlled by turning on / off the LED light at the appropriate timing in synchronization with the rotation of the blade mirror. This makes it possible to block light more finely than the conventional AHS, and by expanding the irradiation range of the high beam, it is possible to recognize pedestrians and signs without dazzling oncoming vehicles and vehicles in front.
Digital outer mirror / digital inner mirror
- Improved camera performance for both digital outer mirror and inner mirror. To improve the visibility of places where light and dark are mixed, noise reduction processing is applied to realize clear images with less noise. Besides, the annoyance caused by the flickering of the LED light has been reduced.
- * 1.AVS: Adaptive Variable Suspension system
- * 2.Blade Scan ™ is a registered trademark of Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- * 3.AHS: Adaptive High-beam System
- * Four.LTA：Lane Tracing Assist
- * Five.AHB：Automatic High Beam
- * 6.RSA：Road Sign Assist